Director of Shareholder Advocacy
Trillium Asset Management offers investment strategies and services that advance humankind towards a global sustainable economy, a just society, and a better world. The firm has been at the forefront of ESG thought leadership and draws from decades of experience focused exclusively on responsible investing. Trillium uses a holistic, fully integrated fundamental investment process to uncover compelling long‐term investment opportunities. Devoted to aligning stakeholders’ values and objectives, Trillium combines impactful investment solutions with active ownership. Owned by Australian based Perpetual Limited, Trillium independently operates its US based investment management firm to deliver equity, fixed income, and alternative investments to institutions, intermediaries, high net worth individuals, and other charitable and non‐profit organizations. The firm’s true goal is to provide positive impact, long‐term value, and “social dividends” for investors.
The Director of Shareholder Advocacy will be responsible for engaging Trillium’s holdings and policy makers on environmental, social, and governance topics. The position also has responsibilities regarding communications, the investment process, and client service. The position reports to the Chief Advocacy Officer.
Trillium takes an active engagement role, including proxy voting, directly engaging with companies, public policy, and field building. Through 40 years of work, Trillium established itself as an industry leader in shareholder advocacy through an extensive and successful track record of action, impact, and innovation. To learn more about Trillium’s approach to shareholder advocacy please review https://www.trilliuminvest.com/leadership-corporate-engagement/trilliums-approach-to-shareholder-engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage Trillium’s holdings with the goal of improving company ESG performance, policies, practices, and impacts; and conveying Trillium’s perspective and priorities.
- Engage Trillium’s holdings through dialogue with senior level company executives, coalition efforts, shareholder proposals and other methods of shareholder advocacy, active ownership, and stewardship to achieve Trillium’s corporate ESG advocacy goals.
- Engage government policy makers to advance Trillium’s perspective and priorities on ESG topics.
- Conduct active and robust research to identify new and innovative shareholder advocacy opportunities.
- Keep well-informed of ESG topics, the state of shareholder advocacy, and policy developments.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the annual advocacy plan, focusing on specific ESG concerns and companies.
- Constructively manage relationships and actively engage with fellow investors and investor organizations to advance Trillium’s goals.
- Represent Trillium on advisory committees and working groups on corporate ESG topics.
- Communicate with members of the press.
- Support the integration of ESG factors and Trillium’s values into Trillium’s investment process.
- Engage with Trillium analysts, portfolio managers, and investment managers to understand their insights and perspectives on ESG topics and to share advocacy perspectives.
- Contribute to Trillium’s marketing, compliance, and other materials.
- Partner with business development and private client teams to ensure existing and prospective client expectations and responsibilities are met.
- Preferred: Graduate level degree in business, law, or other fields related to corporate ESG responsibility; or bachelor's degree with at least four years of work experience in this or a related field. This position is well suited for people with experience as a shareholder advocate or ESG analyst.
- Strong familiarity of the ESG investing field and its organizations, asset management, and ESG service providers.
- Proven experience engaging with companies individually and collaboratively on ESG topics.
- Demonstrated commitment to Trillium’s goal of advancing humankind towards a global sustainable economy, a just society, and a better world.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills - ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and concise fashion.
- Knowledge of and fluency in corporate ESG topics.
- High ethical standards. Ability to build and maintain successful professional relationships with colleagues across the firm and with external parties.
- Entrepreneurial initiative with an ability to prioritize, organize, and manage multiple projects.
- Detail-oriented, focused, and persistent work ethic.
- Effective negotiating and persuasion skills.
Trillium Asset Management LLC provides a generous compensation package that includes 401(k) plan, profit sharing plan, group life, long-term disability, health, dental and vision insurance benefits, paid time off, parental leave, commuter benefit and performance-based bonus program. True to its mission, Trillium Asset Management LLC provides employees 4 paid days per year to volunteer and allows each employee to designate a $1,000 grant to a charitable organization of their choice.
Please email cover letter and resume to: TAM_advocacy_jobs@trilliuminvest.com