Equity, Ecology, and Economy
Trillium’s purpose is to activate our clients’ capital to advance humankind towards a global sustainable economy, a just society, and a better world. We believe that a community’s sustainability depends upon a balance between equity, ecology, and economy, and that our efforts should contribute towards the achievement of this balance. No single action is likely to achieve all of these goals; likewise, no single company or investable asset will perfectly embody all of these goals. However, these values are the guideposts we use to evaluate whether our business practices, investment decisions, and advocacy further our goals.
Trillium's Overarching Values Are:
• Protection of Human Rights, including the rights of freedom of opinion, speech, the press, assembly, and movement; and the equity and human dignity of all people from all racial, ethnic, Indigenous, and gender identities, sexual orientations, religious groups, or other marginalized status. We understand human rights to include the rights to—without discrimination—a living wage, freedom from slavery or forced labor; to safety; and to access to food, clean water, shelter, education, and healthcare.
• Protection of and Respect for the Natural Environment, including slowing and adapting to climate change, protection of air, water, and biodiversity, and the humane treatment of animals.
• Achievement of Justice, especially for the disenfranchised and the voiceless, including economic, environmental, and climate justice, as well as redressing historic and current inequities generated by implicit and/or explicit biases.
• Respect for Labor, including the right to organize and collectively bargain, payment of living wages, and just and favorable conditions of work.
• Respect for Civil Society Institutions, including democratic governments, the rule of law, communities, and families of all structures. We strive to advance these values through our investment strategies and advocacy.